21 December 2005

Happy Solstice! Merry Yule! Happy Saturnalia!

Yeah, I know, Saturnalia was on the 25th, but that was under the old calendar, when the 25th was the Solstice. So deal.

APOD reminds us of the real reason for the season with a cool picture of a small town in Greece.

It is traditional, on this most holy of days, to buy your favorite blogger (me) any, or all, of these.

The thing I like about Solstice is that sense of connection you can get to the whole of human history: as if by marking it, in however small a way, you're giving a shout out to all our ancestors. Too bad I don't have any Wassail. But then, I'm Slavic, so what am I doing pining over not having some Anglo-Saxon drink? I shall drink eggnog. Sadly sans rum, since I have none. Damn it. I shall make pirate sounds and thus try to convince myself there must be rum in it.

Oh, and Happy Summer Solstice to all you folk down south. Guess it's lemonade for you, and not eggnog, because drinking eggnog in the summer would just be silly.

3 Comments:

Anonymous melina said...

hi! just hi! it's as hot as the desert here today...almost 80.

12/21/2005 3:44 PM  
Blogger rie said...

i want this one: Ithaqua Plush. wow.

(note to self: buy gerg many of these next year)

12/22/2005 5:07 PM  
Blogger rie said...

p.s. -- things rie must have:

http://www.collectorware.com.ar/oingoboingo.htm

"band logo 2" would be fav. really.

12/22/2005 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home